Re: [ELPA] New package: package-fixes

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: package-fixes
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 11:44:31 -0500

Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> writes:

>> Did you consider making package.el itself a :core package of GNU ELPA,
>> and releasing a fixed package-1.0.2 there?
>
> I did. Sadly, the current package.el is coupled to some built-in
> machinery that wasn't available in 24.1.
> And then there's the question of what will happen if package.el
> upgrades itself in the middle of a transaction (probably nothing
> good). We could make it wait until the end of the transaction to
> upgrade itself, but then it wouldn't prevent the bug in question for
> the package that depended on the newer (package "1.1.0").

OK, too bad.  I wonder if at archive-generation time the GNU ELPA build
scripts should insert (package-fixes "<latest version>") in
Package-Requires, for all packages that support emacs < 25.1.  It sounds
like it's hard to know if a given package is affected, and even
difficult to replicate a bad-compilation situation?

Someone reported an issue with fsm-0.2.el after upgrading to it, on
Emacs 24.5.  I couldn't replicate it.  I think it might have been this
issue.  I guess once package-fixes lands, to be safe, I should release
fsm-0.3.el that depends on it.

Thomas