Re: Casting as wide a net as possible

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: Casting as wide a net as possible
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 17:41:11 +0300

On 10/12/2015 11:46 -0500, John Yates wrote:

> I would hope that our site would be not just a self-indulgent
> love fest, a litany of all the things we - the advanced, deeply
> committed users - love about Emacs.  Instead I imagine our site
> as the place where a newbie becomes seduced by Emacs' clearly
> wonderful and unique functionality, available "out of the box".

When I started using Emacs, it attracted me with the ease of working
with codings.  I've tried some editors at that time, of course
(including well-known IDEs, for years), but never before it was so easy
to just open a file in a given coding, or re-open it in another.  We,
non-English-natives, still have problems with different encodings (yes,
KOI8-R, CP-1251 and CP-866 for Russian are still here) and Emacs helped
me to learn more clearly what the encoding is.

Another thing that impressed was set of advanced general text-editing
capabilities (someone mentioned transpose-* functions here) and their
infrastructure, including syntax tables.

These and other things made me sure that, although the my work language
(Java) support is lacking many things IDEs have, Emacs will be my editor
of choice.

Maybe it makes sense to underline this versatility and good accessible
infrastructure in addition to features most users expect to see in an
"ad" for a text editor.

Filipp