Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 22:57:44 -0500

  > > These points should appear near the top of the front page,
  > > because they are high priority for us.

  > I will add these elements to the current website, but adding that on the
  > top of the page would be make it too prominent, as it would take an
  > important size of the screen, and being a distraction from the focus on
  > Emacs, it would lessen the impact of the header of the page.

The current page gnu.org/software/emacs, as viewed, starts with the
FSF's funding drive.  That is present only for December and January,
but is very important during these months.

Then comes a vertical segment that introduces the GNU operating
system.  It also has the buttons for joining the FSF and signing up to
Free Software Supporter.  Encouraging these is very important.  Then
comes a horizontal menu for gnu.org.

These items give some uniformity to gnu.org.  Most of the pages have
them.  There pages in gnu.org where these are missing -- those are
bugs and they ought to be fixed.

They items are not actually present in the page source; rather, they are
copied in using

<!--#include virtual="/server/banner.html" -->

Please preserve that command when you update the Emacs web pages.

--
Dr Richard Stallman