Re: reftex.el autoloads

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: reftex.el autoloads
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 14:33:49 -0500

Phillip Lord wrote:

>>> 2) Just putting the autoloads into loaddefs.el.
>>
>> That's just plain wrong. Please don't do that.
>
> It may be wrong, but it's not plain. I assumed that there was a reason
> for not doing this. But I still do not understand what that reason is.
> Can you please tell me what is wrong with it, because I cannot figure it
> out?

I don't know if I can explain it well.
Basically, code should be loaded where it needs to be loaded, not at the
global level to work around some perceived problem with the toolchain.

>> to load foo-loadefs.el (which in many cases will be tiny files).
>
> Yes, some of them are pretty small.

That was the traditional deciding criterion.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-09/msg00264.html

The reftex example is surely on the wrong side of that, but as the
commit message says, it was replacing prevous hand-written autoloads
that were in reftex.el.