Re: Should we have a commit size guideline?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Should we have a commit size guideline?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 17:00:07 -0800

Dmitry Gutov wrote:
Emacs doesn't change tabs to spaces if the indentation level of the line
hasn't changed.

I observe problems in this area when changing code (which changes indentation) and then changing it back (i.e., not undo, but make a further change that undoes most or all of the original change). In this case Emacs changes tabs to spaces, assuming the .dir-locals.el settings already mentioned.

we've always considered tabs-to-spaces changes near some actual
changed code to be okay.

Yes, of course. Here, though, a two-line changed ballooned into a 23-line change. The first 2 lines of the ballooned change were real, and the other 21 lines were tabs-to-spaces only.

It is a bit of an annoyance, that's all. Obviously there are workarounds. It's not something I'd bother writing about, but I'm sympathetic to those bothered enough to write.