Re: Document that symbol prefix "my-" (or other) should be left for user

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: Document that symbol prefix "my-" (or other) should be left for users
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 20:12:48 -0700

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

     Drew has a point. How about we wait until there's some
     instance of the problem in the wild that needs us to
     document such a convention? There's been a lot of time
     for this to become an issue, and it hasn't yet.

For what it's worth, it's happened to me, but a long time
ago and I don't remember what function name I stepped on.
If it's happened to me, I would guess it's happened to other
people.  Creating a name clash isn't a bug in Emacs, so why
would I (or anyone else) report it?  So if it's happening,
it might not be something that would come up on the radar
here very often.  I finally discovered what I'd done and
jsut renamed my function.

Short of giving Elisp a package system like Common Lisp, it
seems that the solution is just to make sure your personal
prefix is complex enough that it is unlikely to be
duplicated in other people's code.