Re: builds are getting slower?

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: builds are getting slower?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 13:09:05 +0000

On 16 Dec 2015 11:58 am, "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > We need to locate the dir locals file(s) in order to compare its timestamp to
> > the cache. Do we have a faster way of expanding wildcards?
>
> Does it have to be wildcards?  Will file-name-all-completions not do?

Yes, I think we can do that.

> And why exactly this code needs to run when we need to byte-compile
> Lisp files, btw?

I suspect it's because the byte-compiler is affected by local variables, so it needs to know them. We could certainly add some shortcut or let-bind a variable for the purpose of slipping this during emacs bootstrap.

> In any case, I suggest to profile this code, before we decide that
> this is indeed the culprit.  It could be something utterly unrelated.

Indeed. I'll be glad to do it myself once things settle down here (which might be around January).