Re: builds are getting slower?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: builds are getting slower?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 14:25:56 +0100

Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> writes:

> On 16 Dec 2015 11:58 am, "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > We need to locate the dir locals file(s) in order to compare its
> timestamp to
>> > the cache. Do we have a faster way of expanding wildcards?
>>
>> Does it have to be wildcards?  Will file-name-all-completions not do?
>
> Yes, I think we can do that.
>
>> And why exactly this code needs to run when we need to byte-compile
>> Lisp files, btw?
>
> I suspect it's because the byte-compiler is affected by local variables, so
> it needs to know them.

Not really.  It loads the files, and loading the files sets the
directory-local variables.  I don't think it is a good idea to use them
for byte compilation even though I have to admit that a directory-wide
setting of `lexical-binding' would seem less ugly than putting it in
every file manually.  But it sounds like a recipe for trouble.

--
David Kastrup