Re: Status of multicolor fonts?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Status of multicolor fonts?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 17:48:26 +0200

> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 23:32:36 +0800
> From: Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden>
> Cc: Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> I hear you, and agree with you. But as a developer of a chat application (like
> Slack, but free) which also has an Emacs client, colour fonts in Emacs would
> be
> appreciated.

If your application needs that, you don't have to wait for this to be
supported in the core.  It should be very easy to write Lisp code that
generated faces with specific colors using the emoji characters and
the variation selectors as the key.  You should find the necessary
information here:

  http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode8.0.0/ch22.pdf
  http://unicode.org/reports/tr51/
  http://unicode.org/emoji/charts/index.html