Re: Status of multicolor fonts?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Status of multicolor fonts?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 19:17:26 +0200

> From: Random832 <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 11:41:40 -0500
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > If your application needs that, you don't have to wait for this to be
> > supported in the core.  It should be very easy to write Lisp code that
> > generated faces with specific colors
>
> I'm not sure if you understand the feature being requested.

I'm not sure why are you not sure.

> This is not a font that specifies a foreground and background color
> per character, it is a font that defines a character as a full-color
> graphic image (e.g. the US flag in red, white, and blue with shadows
> and highlights, though flags specifically are ligatures of two
> characters)

I'm quite sure you know that Emacs displays character glyphs by
drawing the background and foreground separately, and it sets the
colors of each one according to the attributes of the current face.
How, then, will the full-color image be displayed, if we override the
colors it might specify?

> The variation selectors are specifically to replace the "skin color"
> (typically yellow by default on the fonts that support them) with a
> selected natural human skin color. I think they're actually implemented
> by selecting another graphic entirely, since some implementations also
> have different hair colors.

Yes, I know.