Re: Status of multicolor fonts?

From: Random832
Subject: Re: Status of multicolor fonts?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 13:31:36 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm quite sure you know that Emacs displays character glyphs by
> drawing the background and foreground separately, and it sets the
> colors of each one according to the attributes of the current face.
> How, then, will the full-color image be displayed, if we override the
> colors it might specify?

AIUI, the way this is done is that the background is drawn, then
the full color image (which is transparent so the background can
show through) is drawn on top of the background, and the
foreground color is ignored. None of the colors (except the
background) can be overridden. I suppose you could have it use
the foreground color for the outline and for things like the
"square" icons that are typically blue, but that doesn't seem to
be done.