Re: The poor state of documentation of pcase like things.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: The poor state of documentation of pcase like things.
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 21:26:33 +0000

Hello, John.

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 08:34:27AM -0800, John Wiegley wrote:

> > I would welcome a short tutorial on how (and why) to use pcase.

> There are several examples shown here:

>     http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PatternMatching

> pcase makes a lot more sense if you're used to pattern matching in functional
> languages, where you describe a pattern (not unlike destructuring-bind) whose
> "shape" is intended to match the set of shapes you want to successful match
> against.

> Since pattern matching like this isn't something I had ever encountered
> outside of FP, I agree that a tutorial is in order. I'm willing to volunteer
> for this.

An external tutorial is all well and good, and very useful.  But it is
drifting off topic ever so slightly.

That topic is the state of the the documentation about pcase etc.,
_inside_ Emacs, in its doc strings and the Elisp manual.  Can we take it
that that documentation will be fixed before the release of 25.1?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).