Re: Branches are Scary

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Branches are Scary
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 09:20:43 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 21:25:35 +0000
>
> I was wondering if anyone could describe the git setup wrt to branches
> on the main Emacs git.

There's no setup I could think of.  There are official branches where
development of to-be-released versions is going on, and there are all
the other branches people push to let others try experimental
features.

> I always find deleting branches (that I have created) rather an unhappy
> experience, as I worry that I will do the wrong thing, and accidentally
> delete emacs-25.

If you are afraid of deleting branches, don't.  Someone else will come
and do it eventually.

> At the same time, if I am understanding things correctly, I can't squash
> and force feature and fix branches that I have pushed up, which means
> that these have to get deleted unmerged cause I squash and merge locally.

Public branches are public branches; don't do there anything that will
cause pain to people who might track them.

> Perhaps I am worried about this unnecessarily. Can I delete emacs-25 or
> master by mistake? And, at the same time, is it possible to squash
> things in other branches?

I suggest to refrain from squashing on public branches.  Why do you
need it?