Re: reftex.el autoloads

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: reftex.el autoloads
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 20:55:24 +0000

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> On 12/18/2015 08:39 AM, Glenn Morris wrote:
>> Somewhat disappointed, but obviously I'm in a minority.
>> Anyway, it doesn't build. Did you test it?
>
> Yes, I suggest reverting the change from master until it's tested and known to
> work from a fresh checkout.
>
> Here are a couple of other comments. That's not the right way to declare
> autoloads-force to be phony.

I thought it was an usual usage, but I copied it from autoloads. I
guess:

autoloads-force .PHONY:
        rm loaddefs.el
        $(MAKE) autoloads

should be

autoloads-force:
        rm loaddefs.el
        $(MAKE) autoloads

.PHONY: autoloads-force

> Also, there shouldn't need to be an autoloads-force at all: if some
> other files need to be built they should be listed as dependencies of
> autoload.

Indeed. It's always been this way, though -- from a non-bootstrap on
emacs-25 try

rm lisp/eshell/esh-groups.el
make
./src/emacs -Q

M-x eshell

It will crash. What you actually have to do is

cd lisp
rm loaddefs.el
make autoloads

The problem is that files are not dependencies, they are targets which
are build at the same time as loaddefs.el. AFAICT, there is no good way
of dealing with this in make (and perhaps there should be).

It is fixable, but it requires significant modifications to
autoloads.el, and will substantially complicate lisp/Makefile.in. I
didn't want to make that change, for fear of disappointing Glenn
further.

This is a minimal change, and was quite useful was I was producing my
(ill-tested) set of commits.

Phil