Re: The poor state of documentation of pcase like things.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The poor state of documentation of pcase like things.
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 18:47:11 +0200

> From: Michael Heerdegen <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 16:26:52 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> As far as I understand how Stefan used to work, most of the semantics of
> most of the pcase derivatives, like `pcase-let', are not yet 100% fixed,
> we are not yet sure how useful we are, or if they may later be better be
> replaced by other forms that are more general, etc.
>
> IMHO it's good to leave the documentation of the derivatives as is for
> now.

Grepping for "pcase-let" brings about 90 hits (including pcase-let*),
so leaving that undocumented is no longer an option, IMO.

> To be honest, I tweaked some of the pcase related documentation, and was
> quite happy with it.  I think the pcase docstring is quite good.

Thank you for your efforts.

> A tutorial is missing though, clearly.

Tutorials are always good to have, but they cannot replace good
documentation in the manual.  We should strive to provide manuals that
are self-contained and don't require any tutorial reading for
acquiring a full understanding of an issue and an unimpeded capability
of using it in Lisp programs.