Re: The poor state of documentation of pcase like things.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The poor state of documentation of pcase like things.
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 19:02:11 +0200

> From: Michael Heerdegen <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 16:44:34 +0100
> Cc: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:
>
> I think we should not emphasize QPatterns and UPatterns too much,
> because today, ``' is just a pcase macro.  When not using ``' is pcase,
> we speak of just PATTERNs.

If we want to do that, we need to rewrite both the ELisp manual and
the doc string to never use these.  With the current text of the
manual, you simply cannot ignore them.  (Personally, I think trying to
stop using them is futile, since so many people who actively use
'pcase' use these terms freely in their messages and other text they
write.  But that's me.)

> If there are still examples like
>
> >     (pcase value
> >       (`1 (message "Matched a 1"))
> >       (`2 (message "Matched a 2"))
> >       (`"Hello" (message "Matched the string Hello")))
>
> in the info manual, they should be changed to not use backquote.

There are quite a few of these there.