Re: The poor state of documentation of pcase like things.

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: The poor state of documentation of pcase like things.
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 22:09:38 +0100

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

> >> I am a bit surprised to find that _ needs , in these examples, and I
> >> think that it's a bug.
> >
> > I think it's intentional, and it fits the documentation.
>
> Not convinced. The documentation says....
>
> ‘(pred numberp)’ is a pattern that simply checks that ‘exp’ is a number,
> and ‘_’ is the catch-all pattern that matches anything.
>
> for example, which made me assume that "_" matches anything.

Anything in a backquote is implicitly quoted, and thus should behave
like

    'VAL                matches if the object is ‘equal’ to VAL.

The elements in a backquoted list in a pcase pattern are _not_
interpreted as pcase patterns, unless unquoted.  _ is not special here.

You also can't use

  `(1 2 (pred numberp))

as you would expect.  Why should _ be different?

Michael.