Re: reftex.el autoloads

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: reftex.el autoloads
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 10:52:52 +0000

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Phillip Lord wrote:
>
>>> What's special about dired here?
>>
>> I'm working on the assumption that the problems I had with dired.el have
>> been fixed and where a straight-forward bootstrap problem.
>
> I don't know what that means.

Oh, that dired.el was used somewhere during the bootstrap build before
dired-loaddefs.el is generated.

cl-lib.el has the same problem. It deals with it like so:

(unless (load "cl-loaddefs" 'noerror 'quiet)
  ;; When bootstrapping, cl-loaddefs hasn't been built yet!
  (require 'cl-macs)
  (require 'cl-seq))

I took a punt and guessed that the dired autoloaded functions are not
needed during bootstrap so used the simpler approach.

>>> Ie, could the same thing happen with other files?
>>
>> What is special is that the diary (and all the calendar) files have four
>
> My question was about dired. Why does dired need special handling?

AFAICT, it's because of vc.el which requires dired.el. This is needed by
find-file-noselect to open loaddefs.el.

>> I don't know enough about calendar to know why it needs such a complex
>> set of autoloads, although I do wonder whether it still does.
>
> Nothing has changed, so yes it does. It's worked fine for years.
> Though when I tried to say this earlier in this discussion, I didn't succeed.

You did succeed. I did listen, and did take the issue seriously. At the
same time, I felt that there was a build irritation that was worth
removing. If no one else had agreed, I probably would not have touched
it, out of respect for your concerns.

>> I guess the best I can do at the moment is change
>>
>> EMACSOPT = -batch --no-site-file --no-site-lisp

>> EMACSOPT = -batch --no-site-file --no-site-lisp --debug
>
> No, just make the autoload-generate-file-autoloads condition-case handler
> print some debug info when it encounters end-of-file error.
>
>> Is it possible to get hydra to build another branch (called test or
>> something)? In the ideal world, I'd rather not do this sort of mucking
>> around on master.
>
> hydra isn't a good fit for this kind of testing.

I am stuck reproducing the bug elsewhere.

>> And, in an entirely unrelated question, why is that "-batch" and not
>> "--batch"?
>
> They are equivalent.

Ok.