Re: Emacs master, w32/w64

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs master, w32/w64
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 18:17:30 +0200

> From: Michael Albinus <address@hidden>
> Cc: Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 11:03:26 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I see no such issue on the emacs-25 branch.  The master branch gets
> > much less attention these days, and also has a few bugs corrected on
> > the emacs-25 branch that wasn't yet merged to master.  I suggest that
> > you switch to tracking emacs-25 for a while, which will also help us
> > stabilize it faster.
>
> In general this is right, but in this special case the master branch is
> different. Due to the work on kqueue there are changes in filenotify.el
> and filenotify-tests.el, which are not present in the emacs-25
> branch. So I propose to trace *this* problem in the master branch.

People who track master should know that it's currently subtly broken.
The undo changes that didn't receive the fixes they have on the
release branch can corrupt buffers and strings, and that can create
all kinds of weirdo problems that look like bugs somewhere else.
Until we resume merging from emacs-25 to master, I'm afraid looking
for problems on master might sometimes we waste of people's time.

If someone _really_ wants to work on master, I'd suggest them to start
a new local branch and merge emacs-25 to it, before doing any serious
work.