Re: Dynamic modules: MODULE_HANDLE_SIGNALS etc.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Dynamic modules: MODULE_HANDLE_SIGNALS etc.
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 18:07:26 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 13:18:21 -0800
>
> >> Which is why you setjmp in places where you have a significant stack
> >> reserve.
> >
> > There's no way of doing that portably, or even non-portably on many
> > platforms.  You simply don't _know_ how much stack is left.
>
> You can probe at program start and pre-allocate as much as is reasonable.

Pre-allocate what?  Are you suggesting that Emacs allocates its own
stack, instead of relying on the one provided by the linker and the
OS?

> >> Longjmp, by itself, is simple and clear. What's unreliable is longjmping
> >> to Lisp at completely arbitrary points in the program, even ones marked
> >> "GC can't happen here" and the like.
> >
> > We longjmp to a particular place, not arbitrary place.
>
> But we longjmp _from_ anywhere, and "anywhere" might be in the middle of
> any delicate code sequence, since the compiler can generate code to
> write to new stack slots at any point.

I simply don't see any trouble this could cause, except leaking some
memory.  Can you describe in enough detail a single use case where
this could have any other adverse effects that we should care about
when recovering from stack overflow?

> >> You say Emacs shouldn't crash.  Fine. We can't make that guarantee
> >> if the crash recovery code breaks program invariants.
> >
> > Crash recovery doesn't need to keep invariants.  Or maybe I
> > misunderstand what invariants do you have in mind.
>
> Any stack allocation anywhere in the program can longjmp. It's
> impossible to reason about safety in that situation.

Emacs is not safety-critical software, so there's no requirement to
reason about safety.  Since I think the recovery's only role is to
allow the user to exit Emacs in a controlled way without losing work,
I simply don't see any problem that could be caused by longjmping from
an arbitrary stack allocation.  After all, stack allocation is just
assignment of value to a register, and sometimes grafting a range of
memory pages into the memory set.

> >> Failing that, we should allocate guard pages, unprotect the guard
> >> pages on overflow
> >
> > Thats what the OS is for.  It would be wrong for us to start messing
> > with page protection etc.  The exception caused by stack overflow
> > removes protection from the guard page to let you do something simple,
> > like run the exception handler -- are you suggesting we catch the
> > exception and mess with protection bits as well, i.e. replace one of
> > the core functions of a modern OS?  All that because what we have now
> > is not elegant enough for us?  Doesn't sound right to me.

> We have a program that has its own Lisp runtime, has its own memory
> allocation system, uses its own virtual filesystem access layer, and
> that brings itself back from the dead. We're well past replicating OS
> functionality.

Actually, most of the above is simply untrue: we use system allocators
to allocate memory, use mundane C APIs like 'open' and 'read' to
access files, and if by "bringing itself from the dead" you allude to
unexec, then what it does is a subset of what every linker does,
hardly an OS stuff.

I think we should strive to distance ourselves from the OS business,
not the other way around.  There was time when doing complex things
sometimes required messing with low-level functionality like that, but
that time is long passed.  Allocating our own stack, setting up and
managing our own guard pages and the related exceptions -- we
shouldn't go back there.

> It's not a matter of elegance: it's a matter of correctness. The current
> scheme is unsafe.

Emacs is not safety-critical software.  It doesn't need to be "safe"
by your definition, if I understand it correctly.

> >> and call out_of_memory so that it's obvious Emacs is in a bad
> >> state. This way, we don't have to longjmp out of arbitrary code
> >> sequences.
> >
> > There's no problem longjmping out of arbitrary code sequences.  When
> > you debug a program, you do that all the time.
>
> In GDB, interrupting normal control flow is not part of standard
> debugging practice.

??? Every time a debuggee hits a breakpoint, the normal control flow
is interrupted, and you in effect have a huge longjmp -- from the
debuggee to the debugger.