Re: bug#19462: shr: use wrap-prefix when possible, instead of filling th

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: bug#19462: shr: use wrap-prefix when possible, instead of filling the text
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 19:43:15 +0100

On 12/25/2015 06:34 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Ivan Shmakov <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>  >> (Yes, Emacs can display proportional fonts and fonts of different
>>  >> sizes, but until you can fold (etc) proportional text (and text with
>>  >> a mixture of font sizes) in a pretty manner, that's more of a toy
>>  >> than anything else.)
>>
>>  > What's non-pretty with how we do this now?  What features are
>>  > missing?
>>
>>      The only feature that I’m aware to be missing is the actual
>>      support for Emacs native text wrapping (as in: the word-wrap
>>      variable and wrap-prefix text property) in SHR.
>>
>>      Please thus consider the patch MIMEd.
>
> I think this was superseded by the shr proportional font rewrite, so I'm
> closing the bug.

I'd love a tiny bit more of information about this :)

In one of my packages I do some post-processing of a buffer rendered by shr
from an html page to increase the font size of a particular title (this is
combined with company's support for documentation buffers for completion).

For this to work properly, I need to ensure that shr does not insert hard
newlines to wrap the text; otherwise, the larger sized textx wraps in awkward
ways. To do this in Emacs < 25 I set `shr-width' to `most-positive-fixnum' and
preprocess the html to remove <table>s and <hr>s (which otherwise cause an out
of memory exception due to the `shr-width' hack), and in Emacs >= 25 I set it
to 0, which shr seems to recognize there thanks to this test in
`shr-fill-lines':
  (if (<= shr-internal-width 0)
      nil

Is there another solution to use visual-line-mode with shr that I have
overlooked?

Clément.