Re: EWW bugs should be fixed on emacs-25 branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: EWW bugs should be fixed on emacs-25 branch
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 22:40:53 +0200

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 12:09:10 -0800

> > Maybe so, but better be safe than sorry. Given the number of times I saw Git
> > experts here make mistakes about what does and doesn't work, I will trust
> > gitmerge.el and our experience more than I trust what we think we know about
> > Git. Also, gitmerge.el should DTRT no matter which version of Git is
> > installed (I hear that some systems still have Git 1.7.1 or something like
> > that).
>
> I suppose then that I would like to understand exactly what gitmerge.el is
> adding to the picture. I've managed some pretty crazy merge scenarios as a
> contractor, and it never required building custom merging tools before.

How about taking a look at the code (it's only 500-odd lines)?  Maybe
also try it -- e.g., merge emacs-25 with master in your sandbox, just
to see how it feels.  I think that will provide a much better answer
than I could ever hope to give.

> So we run the opposite risk of people "just using gitmerge.el", but not
> understanding what is actually happening.

When you run GDB via the Emacs front-end, do you understand what
happens behind the scenes to make all these nice gdb-ui windows
possible?  I bet you don't, because _a_lot_ is going on that you don't
see, and will never understand unless you are an expert in GDB/MI
interface Emacs uses and in GDB itself.

That's what Emacs front-ends (or any front-ends) do: they allow you to
know less about the details and still be productive and avoid
mistakes.

> If it works for you, that's great; but if I properly understand what
> is being done, then I can find a workflow that might suit me better.

You are encouraged to understand what's going on, but please do make a
point of using gitmerge.el when merging between Emacs development
branches.  We don't want to risk people making mistakes if they can be
avoided.

Thanks.