package.el: "incomprehensible buffer" when installing some packages

From: Tom Jakubowski
Subject: package.el: "incomprehensible buffer" when installing some packages
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 05:10:42 -0600

Hello,

I've built and installed Emacs HEAD (de8837599112608feecea65a1e520866bc171569) on a fresh Linux laptop. When I add MELPA as a package source and try to install certain packages from it (e.g. toml-mode, dark-souls), I see something like this in *Messages*:

    Error retrieving: https://melpa.org/packages/toml-mode-20150818.120.el "incomprehensible buffer"

Most other packages from MELPA, like rtags, are installed without issue. I haven't yet seen an issue installing a package from GNU ELPA (though I haven't tried too many of them).

As far as I can tell, for both successful and failing cases, the .el file downloaded from the given URL ends in a trailing newline.

Tom Jakubowski