Re: 4K Bugs

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: 4K Bugs
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 08:59:26 -0800

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
I don't know how well this works for projects that auto-close bug
reports.  Anybody have experience with that?

I've done it both ways, and both ways work. As long as there's a sense of which bugs are more important and which less, and we never lose tracks of bugs even when fixed, the two ways are roughly equivalent. Of course one needs to have enough resources devoted to bug-fixing (and we should present the list of unfixed bugs in a non-demoralizing way :-).

One option is to tag all open bugs as "moreinfo" after a new release, while sending email to the bug reporters to check whether "moreinfo" the bugs are still applicable in the new release. We can then remove the "moreinfo" tag for bugs that are later reported to still be relevant. This would require some discipline on our part, of course.