Re: ASCII-only startup message?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ASCII-only startup message?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 20:16:34 +0200

> Cc: Emacs Development <address@hidden>
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 09:25:32 -0800
>
> What bug did the attached patch fix?

That text is a comment we insert into *scratch*; it's not a doc
string.  It is run through substitute-command-keys because we want to
show the key bindings for visiting files, that's all.  We shouldn't
produce non-ASCII characters in comments, it's a user prerogative.

The adverse effect of inserting non-ASCII characters shows when your
locale's codeset is not UTF-8: if you want to save that buffer or any
part of it that includes this comment, you get annoyed by the request
to specify a suitable encoding (because *scratch* correctly starts
with the locale's default encoding).

> Emacs is supposed to display single quotes properly even in
> ASCII-only locales, and if there's a problem with that display it'd
> be better to fix the underlying problem than paper over the
> symptoms.

No, the display is OK, that's not the problem.