Re: ASCII-only startup message?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: ASCII-only startup message?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 11:40:55 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I really don't see what's the big deal

Yes, of course this is a very minor point.

we never agreed to have these curved quotes in *scratch*, not even discussed
that, AFAIR.

No, we discussed it on September 24 after I made the change on September 2. You asked whether the change was intended; I replied that it was. Please see:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2015-09/msg00031.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-09/msg00967.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-09/msg00968.html

As far as I know there was no further comment -- no reports of problems with the startup buffer, for example -- so I would favor leaving the message as it was before today, at least during the feature freeze.

Alternatively, I suppose we could rephrase the message to avoid apostrophes entirely (this would prevent those *ugly* ASCII apostrophes from *ruining* the otherwise-*beautiful* startup screen :-). However, I mildly prefer starting with a couple of non-ASCII characters, as a useful test of Emacs's capabilities on startup.