RE: ASCII-only startup message?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: ASCII-only startup message?
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 06:55:56 -0800 (PST)

> Unicode has muddles it further by bad names for these
> characters. I think ascii ' should have a name similar to ascii -
> (HYPHEN-MINUS) which shows that this is something used as a stand-in
> for several different characters.

Yes.  And not just the names.  Unicode too has a single stand-in for
multiple (2) characters.  A single Unicode character is apparently
meant (recommended) to represent both the apostrophe and the right
single quotation mark.  These are (should be) different animals and
they need not always have the same glyphs.  But for Unicode not so.