Re: ASCII-only startup message?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ASCII-only startup message?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 18:31:41 +0200

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 01:37:20 -0800
>
>        (insert ";; אבגדה\n")
>     Emacs already behaves slightly differently in major modes that
>     derive from prog-mode,
>
> Sure, if one includes the characters that delimit a comment, as in that
> example. But characters within a comment are generally treated as text by
> Emacs, and this is a good thing. Users should not need to learn different
> rules for text-within-a-comment as opposed to other text.

I've obviously failed to drive the point home, because I thought I've
shown an example when _characters_ in a comment are treated by Emacs
not-exactly-like-any-text: we bend the UBA rules for characters in
program comments, but not for characters in text modes.  That is not
triggered by the comment delimiters, it's triggered by the major mode
in effect.  (The same will happen with strings in a program source.)

As for users having to learn different rules: they don't, not wrt
using quote characters.  Users are free to use whatever characters
they feel like in the comments they write.  It's what Emacs does that
we have been talking about, not users.