Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 326ffcc: Allow line comments ending with esca

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 326ffcc: Allow line comments ending with escaped NL to be continued to the next line.
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 08:41:23 -0800

Stefan Monnier wrote:
Hmm... the way I read this, it would mean that

         /*blabla\*/

will be treated as an unclosed comment.  Is that the way C defines it as well?

No, that's a closed comment. More interestingly, this:

/\
\
*blabla*\
\
/
printf ("\
\\
n\
");

is a closed comment followed by printf ("\n"), because backslash-newline removal is done before tokenization. So the "right" fix would be to ignore backslash-newline before identifying comments and other tokens.

Backslash-backslash-newline can be tricky, as I recall from long ago when I was hacking on the GNU C preprocessor.