Re: ASCII-only startup message?

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: ASCII-only startup message?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 08:55:31 -0800

>> `This' reads perfectly fine to me, and is what I prefer to see. But that
>> ship has proverbially sailed; otherwise, I'd suggest we reverse this whole
>> debacle, and go back to the original behavior before any more time is lost.

> I think we should poll the users. We could set the default either way
> depending on what the users prefer.

The problem isn't the default: it's having to consider all the ramifications
of this change, which continue to pop up in unexpected places. Even if we turn
it off by default, we'll still be fielding bug reports from those who turn it
on.

Since I wasn't present for this change, I'd like to know:

  a. How much work is left until this feature is truly "complete"? One
     indicator that it's not yet is how many times it's been thought to be so.

  b. How much work would it be to revert the whole thing and go back to using
     `foo' for symbol quoting?