Re: Emacs Mac port

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 19:30:22 +0100

On 12/29/2015 07:09 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> Since adding feature to GNU Emacs that give more advantage to
> non-free platforms might encourage the latter

I don't think many people care whether they are using GNU Emacs or a fork
thereof, so I'm not sure it would change much to the current situation (people
on MacOS can use a version of Emacs that has more features than the ones
available on GNU/Linux).

> this seems to make a stronger case in favor of adding support for all
> (?) of the features in question on GNU/Linux than doing anything
> else, like merging Emacs Mac Port.

Fully agreed; it seems clear to me that the priority is in getting more of
these features in Emacs for GNU/Linux.

I was just pointing out that as due to the current situation, I've had people
point out to me that my Emacs experience would be nicer on MacOS than on
GNU/Linux (and they are right: the best Emacs experience today is not on
GNU/Linux). These people were not running GNU Emacs, but indeed that doesn't
matter in terms of freedom (though it does matter in terms of using GNU Emacs
to promote the GNU project).