Re: Emacs Mac port

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 09:41:40 +0900

>>> * Blend-and-blur of background color on OS X 10.10 and later via
>>> face's stipple attribute: e.g., (set-face-stipple 'fringe
>>> "alpha:50%").

>> We can install the MacOS support for this if and when we also
>> support it on GNU/Linux.

> Very well. Yamamoto-san, I imagine this will mean you still have to
> maintain a separate patch for Mac Port, but now covering only those
> features that the FSF does not yet accept into GNU Emacs. All the
> rest of your work can be merged in when you are ready. This should
> leave you with a much smaller patch to manage separately.

The above feature is the least important one among what I gave in the
previous mail.  Probably I'll just disable it and I won't provide a
separate patch.

I'll start with committing a few changes that are currently included
in the Mac port but actually not specific to it.

What should I do for the copyright lines at the beginning of the
port-specific files?  Currently, the first lines in src/mac.c look
like:

  /* Unix emulation routines for GNU Emacs on the Mac OS.
     Copyright (C) 2000-2008  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
     Copyright (C) 2009-2015  YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu

because this file is derived from the corresponding one in Emacs 22
where the Carbon port (the precedessor of the Mac port) was a part of
the standard distribution.

The copyright lines in a file that are not derived from the Carbon
port look like

  /* Definitions and headers for AppKit framework on the Mac OS.
     Copyright (C) 2008-2015  YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden