Re: Emacs Mac port

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 01:30:02 -0500

Thanks for showing me the list.  I will look at them one by one.

        > * Pixel-based mouse wheel smooth scroll for newer mice/trackpads.

I think we support this already on various systems.
If that is so, there is no reason not to support it on MacOS also.

        > * When the clipboard has both textual and image data, yank inserts
        >   the former and push both into the kill ring so the latter can be
        >   inserted with yank-pop afterwards.

Does the clipboard on X support images?  If so, can Emacs handle them?
If this feature works on other systems, it is ok to support it on MacOS too.

        > * The function `mac-start-animation' provides several animation
        >   effects via Core Animation.

It looks like this feature would only be for MacOS, so we should not
install it.  If you would like to help the cause of freedom, one way
you can do so is by not releasing this code at all.

        > * Emoji display, with support of variation sequences (text-style
        >   vs. emoji-style) and modifiers (skin tones) if the font supports
        >   them.

Reportedly this needs changes in other parts of GNU/Linux first.
Until then, we should not install it.

        > * Blend-and-blur of background color on OS X 10.10 and later
        >   via face's stipple attribute: e.g., (set-face-stipple
        >   'fringe "alpha:50%").

Likewise for this, I think.

Above all, we need to avoid falling into thinking with the wrong values.
Our freedom is more important than any number of features like these.

--
Dr Richard Stallman