RE: feature proposal: occur-read-primary-args: (from Xemacs)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: feature proposal: occur-read-primary-args: (from Xemacs)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 10:50:34 -0800 (PST)

>    > I actually wonder whether Uwe knows about a much simpler to use
>    > feature: type M-n or <down> arrow at the Occur prompt.
>
> No I did not, but your solution is hitting one key more :-D

That's because Emacs does not insert the default value into the
minibuffer as an "initial value".  For one thing, since Emacs 23
there can be multiple default values, which you can retrieve, one
by one, using `M-n' repeatedly.

---

[If you use Icicles then you can opt to have Emacs automatically
insert the (first) default value in the minibuffer, so you do
not need to use `M-n' to retrieve it.  (In that case, if you do
not want it you can hit `M-k' to remove it.)

You choose the behavior you want by customizing option
`icicle-default-value'.  You can choose to insert the default
value or not; and if inserted, whether to leave the cursor
before or after it, and whether to preselect it.]