Re: Adding async package to GNU ELPA

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Adding async package to GNU ELPA
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2016 07:17:30 +0100

Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> writes:

> On 31 Dec 2015 5:48 pm, "Thierry Volpiatto" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > Then I guess the solution is to delete this file from the source
>> > repo. John or Thierry can do that, or Michael can open a PR for that,
>> > linking to this discussion.
>>
>> AFAIK the *-pkg.el file is needed for multi files packages, at least on
>> MELPA.
>
> It's not. :-) I have several multi file packages on Melpa and I've never
> written a -pkg file.
>
>> Anyway as I already said, it is silly to write informations in source file,
>> then parse this file
>> and then write a *-pkg.el file, we
>> (the author(s) of package) have better time providing directly the *-pkg.el
>> file
>> with all info inside.
>
> I never had any issue with it, and I've never heard other package authors
> complain.

Of course, but I said it is bad to have to insert informations in source
files when we can add a *-pkg.el file especially for this.
I guess you are doing that because some code on ELPA expect informations
in source file headers and then create the *-pkg.el file from this, and
IMO this should be changed for the benefit of ELPA.

>> (which one ?)
>
> The file with the same name as the package (in this case, async.el).

Not necessarily, the contrary is also possible:

You can have a package named foo-core with 3 source files:

foo
bar
baz
and one file named foo-core-pkg.el

Like helm.

And it is a nice feature, I don't know if ELPA support this, probably not.

--
Thierry
https://emacs-helm.github.io/helm/