Re: OS X: Change default key bindings of CMD and ALT

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: OS X: Change default key bindings of CMD and ALT
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2016 19:11:50 +0900

> On Jan 1, 2016, at 17:57, Adrian Robert <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> For all the other Mac applications (except Xquartz) Alt is used to
>> compose characters that are not by default in the keyboard layout. That's
>> one of the very strong point of OSX machines by the way. On a standard JIS
>> keyboard I can type French without having to change the layout, or English,
>> or Japanese, out of the box.
>
> These are good points.  Of course, the problem is whichever key you choose
> to be meta, you are giving up some OS defaults; it is just a question of
> which ones are more important for how many users.

Esc works by default as Meta. No need to interfere with the Alt/Option key
behavior.

> But it would also be
> good to take a parallel approach to Emacs on other platforms.  Currently
> under X or Windows, the Alt/Opt key goes to meta under Emacs, despite
> having other uses in the OS.  But IIRC it is only done on one side, so the
> Alt key on the other is still available for character selection use.  (And
> maybe menu shortcut use in Windows?)

That's where there are Left and Right keys. On laptops only the Left Alt/Option
exists and is used for Compose.

> Would this be implementable in either the NS or Mac ports?  And if so would
> it allow natural / acceptable use by European users?

I guess for keyboards where Right Alt/Option exist that key could be set as
default, otherwise, stick to Esc and leave the Compose key as it is.

Jean-Christophe Helary