Re: OS X: Change default key bindings of CMD and ALT

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: OS X: Change default key bindings of CMD and ALT
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 16:18:43 +0900

>> I've decided to let the question rest -- we clearly can't agree on
>> a layout that suits everybody and we're not allowed to make the
>> change for Emacs 25.1 anyway. I think it's unfortunate, since 1)
>> the default configuration of Emacs is unusable in large parts of
>> the world and 2) the "ns" and the "mac" implementation will now
>> have different defaults.

> Since the "mac" implementation is coming in new, it should have the
> same default behavior as the "ns" port in the respect. It's easily
> configured otherwise, and having them be different would be a
> pointless disparity.

It is the NS port that has changed the default behavior in Emacs 23
from the Carbon port in Emacs 22.  The default behavior of the Mac
port is the same as the Carbon port, except that the alt/option keys
now mapped to Emacs ALT modifier for function keys such as arrow keys.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden