Re: Moving Gnus development to Emacs?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Moving Gnus development to Emacs?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 18:39:46 +0100

After the discussion here, I think I've decided to move Gnus development
to Emacs and Emacsify the code for greater readability.

If {S,}XEmacs wants to keep tracking Gnus development, this
unfortunately means that the onus is on the {S,}XEmacs maintainers to
add an ever-growing number of Emacs compat functions, and expand
function call lists to keep up with Emacs function call lists.

(As well as adding seq/map/cllib/etc.)

The major stumbling block is, of course, lexical binding, but we'll see
how much of that creeps into Gnus after a while.  Gnus is quite async in
some respects, and having proper closures makes that a lot more
readable, but on the other hand, Gnus (ab)uses dynamic scope
extensively, so...

I wrote up the decision here, with added images:

http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2016/01/01/its-about-ethics-in-gnus-development/