Re: Emacs Mac port

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 16:13:01 +0900

>> I'd rather like to avoid having/maintaining multiple versions of
>> the Mac port, because that doesn't look better than the present
>> situation. Currently I feel inclined to keep it separated from the
>> standard distribution.

> Unless I misunderstand, right now you are maintaining a patch. If we
> merge most of your work (though apparently not all), doesn't this
> just meant that the size of the patch you maintain becomes much
> smaller? I'd think that no matter what, this is a win for any fork
> maintainer.

The size of the patch is not an issue; actually, the Mac specific
files are currently distributed as raw files rather than in the patch
form.  Also, most of the port-independent part has already been
committed to the emacs-25 branch.

Maintaining a single version is much simpler especially when it comes
to processing bug reports, reproducing them, and trying fix
candidates.

If there were no alternative for Mac-native GUI ports, or there is a
consensus that it is not good enough, then it would be meaningful to
have an FSF-policy compliant version as well as a full-feature version
despite the maintenance burden.  But that is not the case.

I don't think it is a good idea to have a restricted version of the
Mac port whereas the developer is not willing to provide it and most
of the current Mac port users would skip it preferring the
full-feature version.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden