Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 1f680db: Fix compilation next-error in buffer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 1f680db: Fix compilation next-error in buffers with selective-display
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 20:00:02 -0500

>> The problem is/was not in compile.el but in selective-display (which
>> should just die its deserved death).
> If you really want to remove selective-display, please submit patches
> that remove it entirely, replacing it with alternative features.  Or
> talk someone else into doing that.  Then we can discuss if the
> replacements are good enough, and if they are, then bye-bye
> selective-display.

> But as long as the feature stays, it's wrong to refrain from solving
> such simple problems, hoping that the issue will go away by itself
> somehow.

That's not the way we've usually done it in Emacs.

The way we normally do it goes something like this:
- develop some replacement (in this case overlays).
- change (and encourage such a change in external packages) Elisp code
  to use the new feature instead of the old one.
- declare the feature obsolete.
- at this point, any old bugs don't need to be fixed any more, the
  feature is in "survival mode" where we only care to keep it usable.
  At this point, bugs are just one more encouragement for external
  packages to switch to the new feature.
- when we consider that the old feature is not used any more, we finally
  remove it.

I think we're probably pretty close to this last step, but I won't
insist on taking this step now.  OTOH I clearly think that fixing
long-standing bugs with this old and obsolete feature is a bad idea.

        Stefan