Re: mark expensive tests

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: mark expensive tests
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 22:14:19 +0000

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> John Wiegley wrote:
>> How about this:
>>
>>      make check        sanity tests
>>      make morecheck    sanity tests + regular tests
>>      make fullcheck    sanity tests + regular tests + extensive tests
>
> Sure, that's fine.  Or we can do what coreutils does:
>
> make check
> make check-expensive
> make check-very-expensive

It's rather inconsistent with "clean" which puts the qualifier first.

It's worth mentioning that I've already added

make check-maybe

to master, and it is consistent with that.

check-maybe is often much faster than make check. The heuristic it
uses for identify which tests should run will break, of course, but it's
probably quick enough to run on a pre-commit hook most of the time.

Phil