Re: New iteration on the Emacs homepage

From: Scott Randby
Subject: Re: New iteration on the Emacs homepage
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 19:03:22 -0500

On 01/07/2016 04:19 PM, Nicolas Petton wrote:
Scott Randby <address@hidden> writes:

On 01/07/2016 03:55 PM, Nicolas Petton wrote:
Also new, I added 3 videos from Emacsrocks.com by Magnar Sveen.

These videos use a patent encumbered format.

What format should I convert them to? ogg?

The best choice is WebM in my opinion, but it isn't supported by all browsers, and that format has been accused of being patent encumbered. However, all patents on the format are licensed for free to anyone who uses the format.

If you don't want to use WebM, then you might consider OGG, but WebM is really designed for the web while OGG is not. OGG has patent problems too.

Video formats are a mess when it comes to licensing. You can find good information at these two links:

  https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Supported_media_formats

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video

Scott

Nico