Re: find-file-project

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: find-file-project
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 02:39:15 -0500

> Wasn't thinking of anything in particular. Some other completion for a file
> name from a flat list, that doesn't go through read-file-name?

I'm not sure if you'd count filecache.el as "goes through
read-file-name", but it seems relevant.

As for "completion in outside tools", one "easyish" way would be to hook
right into completion--nth-completion.  IOW instead of providing
ad-hoc implementations for try-completion, all-completions,
completion-boundaries, etc... you'd provide ad-hoc implementations of
minibuffer-try-completion and minibuffer-all-completions, which have the
advantage of allowing more flexibility in its output (e.g. the input
doesn't need to be a prefix of the output).

        Stefan