Re: 4K Bugs

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: 4K Bugs
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2016 09:42:46 +0100

Andrew Hyatt <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Andrew,

> FWIW, I found debbugs-org to be a bit buggy after I entered control
> messages for what I thought was the bug under the cursor only to find
> it sent control messages to a completely different bug. I'll... uh...
> file a bug on it or perhaps just fix it once I can reproduce it again.

Do you use the git checkout of debbugs? Note that I concentrate these
days on debbugs.el and debbugs-gnu.el. It might be that debbugs-org.el
is a little bit outdated in the repo. Will fix it before releasing 0.9.

>     >> One document which I think is missing is a "what all the tags"
>     mean.
>     >
>     > I believe it is covered in the User Guide. If not sufficient,
>     ask for
>     > clarification.
>
>     invalid? Different from notabug, wontfix, unreproducible?
>
>     pending? Pending what? Different from moreinfo?
>
>     patch? It includes one? Covers a bug report with a pull request?

Emacs has no special meaning on them. Check the debbugs doc:

<http://debbugs.gnu.org/Developer.html#tags>

"invalid" is declared in debbugs-*.el only. It sets the tags notabug and
wontfix, and closes the bug. See the User Guide.

>     And important, minor, normal, serious, wishlist. Is serious more
>     important than important? Or Important more serious than serious?
>     What
>     criterion?

> Pretty sure it must go, in order of decreasing severity: serious,
> important, normal.

Sure.

> Serious probably is reserved for things like emacs
> crashing bugs, security vulnerabilities and the like. I don't know
> whether there is a rule about this, but I'd guess that new emacs
> versions shouldn't be released if any serious bugs are opened against
> it. Important is a bit unknown to me, I'm guessing just a bit scarier
> than the "normal" bugs.

<http://debbugs.gnu.org/Developer.html#severities>

We don't use critical and grave, 'tho.

>     security? valid only for bugs? or wishlists, RFE also?

No rule exist yet.

> Great questions, and once someone sheds light on the things like
> invalid and pending (I have no clue, personally), I'll write up the
> info in the bug-triage file.

>     Phil

Best regards, Michael.