Re: xref-query-replace

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref-query-replace
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 23:05:21 +0300

On 01/09/2016 08:08 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I thought xref didn't use etags to deduce the symbol at point, but if
I was mistaken, so be it.

xref-find-definitions doesn't use the "symbol at point" check. But if it did, the check would succeed: symbols "exist" within comments, too.

Then maybe we should do something about this.

In etags? xref-find-definitions, when using the etags backend, uses the info from TAGS for this.

The results of the two commands look very similar, and both buffers
are under XREF mode.  So I think this distinction is very confusing.
At the very least, 'r' in the buffer where the command will do nothing
but barf should not invoke the command.

So if would be better to make `r' be bound in some buffers under XREF mode, and unbound in other ones that look very similar?

Let's make a better error message instead (suggestions welcome!).

It's up to the user to decide whether this makes sense, I think.  So
we could ask her for confirmation, and if given, could proceed anyway.

I don't know how to make the warning both informational and general enough. Better limit the functionality here.

There are technical reasons, too, for this to be hard: we don't ask xref backends to return "match" xrefs in xref-backend-definitions implementations. I expect it might be non-trivial for some backends.

Try starting with xref-find-references (bound to M-?).

When I do that from *scratch*, I get this unfriendly error message:

   Customize ‘semantic-symref-filepattern-alist’ for lisp-interaction-mode

Can we please make this work by default from *scratch*?

Will do.