Re: A proposal for removing obsolete packages

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: A proposal for removing obsolete packages
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 14:41:51 +0000

Andrew Hyatt <address@hidden> writes:
> There might be even better solutions to this problem. I certainly have
> not attempted to explore the entire space of solutions. Perhaps the
> timing is too long as well - I wouldn't mind making things more
> aggressive and instead removing all obsolete packages at the start of
> each major version (meaning that an obsolete package would last one
> major version or less). This probably would work itself out and obsolete
> packages would tend to not be removed at the end of the major version
> development cycle.
>
> Please let me know what you think.

Having a policy that says "we can remove and will remove packages at the
beginning of each new major release, unless some one really objects"
would be a reasonable middle course.

This would also give people the incentive to make the jump -- I still
use longlines-mode, for example, because I haven't found a replacement
for M-x longlines-show-hard-newlines in visual-line-mode. If it's not
there, I could add it.

Phil