Re: Making `interactive' conditional

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Making `interactive' conditional
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 16:13:20 +0100

> I think it is reasonable to omit commands from M-x's completion,
> but refusing to run them is going to far in imposing on the user.

We could provide some sort of mechanism to allow running even if the
mode/predicate says we shouldn't, but I'm not sure that's all that
helpful.

For instance, if it's a command that doesn't run in read-only buffers
(that today has `barf-if-read-only' in the code of the command) has a
:when predicate that says the same thing, does it make sense to offer
the user to override that just because it's now been lifted up to the
`interactive' declaration?

Perhaps it does.  I'm not sure, though.