RE: Best practice for sharing new Emacs modules

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Best practice for sharing new Emacs modules
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 13:43:58 -0800 (PST)

> > I do have one question: what is the best/accepted way to share
> > the code with the Emacs community?
>
> 1. You can send us the .el file and ask to have it included in GNU
> Elpa (this means it will show up for anyone who runs `M-x
> list-packages').
>
> 2. You can push it to Github and then have it included on Melpa (see
> https://github.com/milkypostman/melpa for instructions).
>
> These two options are not mutually exclusive, but they're pretty
> redundant, so I'd recommend just choosing one.

You can also post in on Emacs Wiki, in the Elisp Area:
http://www.emacswiki.org/ElispArea

And then send a message to address@hidden with a simple recipe
for inclusion in MELPA.  MELPA can pick up libraries automatically
(e.g. daily) from GitHub or the wiki.  For the wiki, you just need
to provide a recipe.

A "recipe" can be as simple as this, where the part after `;' is
a short description.

 (character-fold+ :fetcher wiki) ; Extensions to `character-fold.el'.

If the library includes multiple files then the recipe is a bit
more involved.  You can contact address@hidden for more info.