Re: tags-loop-continue

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: tags-loop-continue
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 03:41:01 +0300

On 01/10/2016 08:08 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Because tags-query-replace uses a special keymap, we can bind
tags-loop-continue to M-, in it. _Maybe_ we can similarly use a new
keymap during tags-search's execution.

If you think it's a good idea, I can look into it.

I think it should be okay, thanks.  As long as the command is
interactive, it can always be rebound, if users so want.

Sorry, this is a bust. The way tags-loop-continue is used, to continue execution after a user pressed C-g to quit tags-query-replace, makes it not suitable for a binding inside query-replace-map.

A lot of etags.el is written using global state of some kind, which is another reason I think it will be good to have a replacement for it.

So, I propose two options:

- Un-obsolete the command, but keep it without binding (now done in emacs-25). Since it's not used too often, no binding makes some sense, and users can choose their own bindings.

- Also bind it to M-*. Pro: users will have something to press right away. Cons: the change in binding is still confusing, and hopefully we'll reimplement all these workflows in a different ways soon, thus making tags-loop-continue binding even less necessary.