Re: tags-loop-continue

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: tags-loop-continue
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 23:09:23 +0300

On 01/14/2016 10:41 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Could be fine, I think.  We did change this in find-definition, so
maybe making a similar change in Dired is okay as well.

Nice. What do we do? Change dired-do-search to use the new UI, or add a new command? Do we call the new command simply dired-find-regexp?

When I use these commands, I don't really go back and forth that way.
In fact, I need to use M-* only rarely.

I do. In fact, I even use a third-party package called "history", which allows to quickly just back and forward the navigation history.

IIRC, Daniel also commented on how easy and handy it is.

As long as the *xref* buffer is displayed, it doesn't.  But once it is
buried, there's no easy way to go to the next hit, right?

Also `next-error' (next-error-function is set globally, after all). The fact that it doesn't always work is one of the problems I mentioned.

And if we had a separate command for that, why integrate with next-error at all? And people asked for that so confidently.

What are the requirements, then?

I don't know, to present a reasonable UI for an equivalent
functionality?

That just comes down to adding dired-find-regexp that uses the xref UI, AFAICS. Do we also change the `A' binding in Dired? And unbind `Q'?